14 June 2010

volontiers

I REALLY want to go down to Louisiana or somewhere South to help with the oil spill. I feel I have to do something or I will regret it. But, a bunch of things say you have to be 18 and every site seems to make it difficult to volunteer! What happened to mobilizing people for the effort and why must I be 18? I'd do it with my mom if I had to. I am so motivated to do this, it's frustrating doing nothing. I can't just sit here and do nothing, whining about how terrible it is. I HAVE to go down there and get my hands covered in oil and get the real experience. I want to wash some birds and save some turtles. Why do I need to be a veterinarian or something to do so? They offer specialized training, but again I have to be 18. What I should do is talk to them and show them my determination, but I don't want to drive all the way to Louisiana just to be turned away for being young. What happened to youth empowerment? The youth is the most active, usually. Just look at the 1960s. I think one of the problems is laws have been passed to keep children from being in danger. But I am willing to take the risk and I know my mom wants me to go anyways.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/27/us/201005_oil-spill-photo-gallery.html


^ that is not sand

No comments:

Post a Comment